Sunday 25 October 2015

introduction and conclusion

Evidence of the Day Job #1
For the past 25(ish) years, by day I've been a lexicologist (linguist who studies how vocabulary works) who does research about relations between words, especially my pet relation, antonymy (oppositeness).  For the past 10 years, by night I've been a blogger on British-American English differences. However, the British-American thing has now become a big part of my day job, displacing the antonym work to some degree. (Some would say it's about time.) So, to balance out things, I must become a blogger-by-night about antonym relations, right?

Evidence of the Day Job #2



I will always love antonyms, and the questions they raise about human thought processes, no matter what else I'm working on. So this blog exists to be a kind of filing system for things I collect about antonyms. Much neater and more searchable, I hope, than the many folders in many places (virtual and physical) where I keep cartoons and interesting quotations and weird facts about antonyms just in case I ever need them.



This blog won't be like the Separated by a Common Language blog, where I research topics (often on request) and try to do a bit of educating. It's just going to be a place to collect amusing (to me) things that may by chance amuse someone else...


Evidence of the Day Job #3

3 comments:

  1. As a fellow lapsed antonymist, I'm very excited to read this blog, Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this blog as interesting as the other, but I am perplexed at how to subscribe to it. Is there an option for that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kagi,
    I've added a 'follow by email' widget in the right margin, in case that helps. (Personally, I subscribe to blogs by using Feedly, and there are other ways, but I hope this is what you're looking for!)

    ReplyDelete